The following lists events that happened during 2016 in Iraq.
- The Islamic State attacked and briefly seized an Iraqi army base in Al Tarah using suicide car bombers and fighters wearing explosive belts on 1 January. The Iraqi army retook the base with the help of coalition airstrikes on the same day.
- Camp Speicher, an Iraqi military base, was attacked by multiple ISIL suicide and car bombers on 3 January. At least 15 Iraqi military and police personnel were killed.
- On 12 January, two Islamic State militants set off a bomb outside Al-Jawhara mall in Baghdad, threw hand grenades at passersby, shot at people, and one then killed himself in a suicide bomb attack, killing nine people and injuring 13. Police shot and killed the other militant. In another attack that same day, the Islamic State killed 20 people in a café in Muqdadiya with an IED and a suicide bomb attack.
- After months of protests Saturday April 30, 2016 Protesters who are supporters of Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr breached the Green Zone in Baghdad and stormed the Iraqi Parliament.
- On 11 May, at least 62 people died in a truck bombing in Bagdad.
- July 3 – Several suicide car bombings are carried out in a local shopping district in Karrada, Baghdad, Iraq, killing at least 281 and injuring more than 200.